Articles

Chairman's Introduction

I am delighted at becoming the new chairman following in the footsteps of Robert Biggs, a very hard act to follow. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Robert for chairing the Scheme so wisely over the last two and a half years. I would also like to thank Nigel Marks, who is stepping down after three years as a director, whose enthusiasm and hard work will be greatly missed. Fortunately their knowledge and experience will not be totally lost, as they will both continue as Monitors and be involved in other areas of the Scheme.

In losing both Robert and Nigel, it gives us the opportunity to appoint two new directors, Mike Petter and Shelagh McNerney, who I would personally like to welcome and I am confident that they will make a valuable contribution in their director roles.

The Scheme has to be mindful of the testing times our industry faces, but that does not prevent us from developing and moving forward. Contractors and clients continue to be increasingly interested in working with the Scheme in the development of new initiatives. Without doubt, our major initiative is the development of a new Code of Considerate Practice, along with a new Checklist, scoring system and report formats, for both Site and Company Registration. We are currently in the training stage with our Monitors and all bodes well for its introduction in January 2013. You can read more about the progress of the new Code and Checklist in this edition of Industry Image.

The next couple of years will be challenging for all of us, so let’s hope that by working together we can overcome these difficult times and be proud of working in the construction industry.