A rare find

pots-1

Industry Image were made aware of an amazing discovery by Southdale Ltd at their Fitzwarren Street site in Salford. After initial investigations in identifying the unearthed items proved fruitless, Site Manager Glynn Rhodes turned to the community to find out the history of the site's rare find.

Industry Image contacted Glynn Rhodes to find out what happened in his quest to uncover the truth.

pots-2

Whilst excavating the road area, we found the basement of an old dairy, the former Robinsons family dairy, at no 42 Fitzwarren Street. We uncovered over 100 pots in immaculate condition and many more were damaged. I searched libraries and the web for information on these but found nothing, so we put an article in the local press asking for information, as well as setting up an online news video, various blogs and newsletters to try to get the public involved and gather together the story of where they came from. After massive interest from local historians and the public, we finally got the story we had been searching for.

James Robinson was born in 1856 and set up the Robinsons dairy at Fitzwarren Street in 1897. The dairy traded there until 1935.

The trade directories for 1901 show him living at 44 Fitzwarren Street, while the 1911 trade directory shows him living at 42 Fitzwarren St, the very building where the pots were found and the pots are labelled identifying that address. The company was then sold to Burgess Dairy.

Once I had gathered together all the information, I then contacted the local museum and donated the majority of the pots to them, with the rest going to various locals in the community who had showed interest in our find.

pots-3