Chairman's Introduction

david-watsonThe last 12 months seem to have flown by in what started off to be another tough year for the industry with things thankfully appearing to pick up in the second half of the year.

Our Monitors visiting sites have recently sensed a growing optimism from within the industry where people are now looking forward to the future. With reports that construction activity is on the rise, and that the Scheme has managed to exceed the number of registrations it predicted it would receive this year, I'd like to think the worst is now behind us.

The fact that the Scheme celebrated its 70,000 registered site half way through this year speaks volumes about the industry's commitment to considerate construction. Throughout the last couple of years, the industry never stopped supporting the Scheme's aim of improving the image of construction, and as this year's National Awards prove, standards have continued to rise.

Another great success of 2013 was Ivor Goodsite's Hoarding Competition. It was fantastic to see so many contractors getting on board and taking part in the competition to involve their local communities. More information on the competition can be found in this issue of Industry Image, and we hope to see even more companies taking part next year!

This coming January sees the Scheme publishing a revised Code of Considerate Practice and Checklist. Each year we review the Code and Checklist to ensure it remains current and take into consideration comments from our registered sites and companies which we have received over the past 12 months. Details of the revisions have been published in this issue and I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the changes before they come into effect next year.

We hope you enjoy this new edition of Industry Image – there's plenty to read!

All that's left for me to say is that all of us at the Scheme would to thank everyone for their support over the last 12 months, and hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

David Watson
Chairman, Considerate Constructors Scheme