Site Registration

Types of registered sites

The information on this page should be used to determine the ‘type of work’ of a building site.  The list of work types below is taken from the Office for National Statistics’ standard categorisation of types of construction work.

When registering a site with the Scheme, you will be asked for the type of work of the project. Please use the information below to determine this and if more than one of the below ‘types’ applies, please select the most relevant option.

Mixed development projects are included in the category, which describes the major part of the project. For example, if your project includes retail, flats and a supermarket with 20% of the project cost being flats, 30% retail and 50% the supermarket, the correct category would be “Supermarkets”.

(a) Housing

Public Sector Housing Local authority housing schemes, hostels (except youth hostels), married quarters for the services and police; old peoples’ homes; orphanages and children’s’ remand homes; and the provision within housing sites of roads and services for gases, water, electricity, sewage and drainage.

Private Sector Housing All privately owned buildings for residential use, such as houses, flats and maisonettes, bungalows, cottages, vicarages, and provision of services to new developments.

(b) Infrastructure

Water: Reservoirs, purification plants, dams (except for hydro-electric schemes), aqueducts, wells, conduits, water works, pumping stations, water mains and hydraulic works.

Sewerage: Sewerage disposal works; laying of sewers and surface drains.

Electricity: All buildings and civil engineering work for electrical undertakings such as power stations, dams and other works on hydro-electric schemes, sub-stations, laying of cables and the erection of overhead lines.

Gas: Gas works, gas mains and gas storage.

Communications: Post offices, sorting offices, telephone exchanges, switching centres, cables etc.

Air Transport: Air terminals, runways, hangars, reception halls, radar installations, perimeter fencing, etc, which are for use in connection with airfields.

Railways: Permanent way, tunnels, bridges, cuttings, stations, engine sheds, etc, and electrification of both surface and underground railways.

Harbours (Including Waterways): All works and buildings directly connected with harbours, wharves, docks, piers, jetties (including oil jetties), canals and waterways, dredging, sea walls, embankments, and water defences.

Roads: Roads, pavements, bridges, footpaths, lighting, tunnels, flyovers, fencing, etc.

(c) Non-Housing Excluding Infrastructure

Factories: Factories, shipyards, breweries, chemical works, coke ovens and furnaces (other than at steelworks), skill centres, laundries, refineries (other than oil), workshops, Royal Mint (in public sector).

Warehouses: Warehouses, wholesale depots.

Oil: Oil installations including refineries, distribution pipelines and terminals, production platforms (but not modules or rigs).

Steel: Furnaces, coke ovens and other buildings directly concerned with the production of steel (excludes offices and constructional steelwork).

Coal: All new coal mine construction such as sinking shafts, tunnelling, etc, works and buildings at the pithead which are for use in connection with the pit. Open cast coal extraction is excluded.

Schools and Colleges: Schools or colleges (including technical colleges and institutes of agriculture) except medical schools and junior special schools which are classified under ‘Health’. Schools and colleges in the private sector are considered to be those financed wholly from private funds e.g. some religious colleges including their halls of residence.

Universities: Universities including halls of residence, research establishments, etc.

Health: Hospitals including medical schools; clinics; surgeries (unless part of a house); medical research stations (except when part of a factory, school or university); welfare centres; centres for the handicapped and for rehabilitation; adult training centres and junior special schools.

Offices: Office buildings, banks and embassies. Police HQs, local and central government offices (including town halls) are classified to the public sector.

Entertainment: Theatres, concert halls, cinemas, film studios, bowling alleys, clubs, hotels, public houses, restaurants, cafes, holiday camps, yacht marinas, dance halls, swimming pools, works and buildings at sports grounds, stadiums and other places of sport or recreation and for commercial television, betting shops, youth hostels and centres; service areas on motorways are also classified in this category as the garage is usually only a small part of the complex which includes cafes, restaurants, etc.

Garages: Buildings for storage, repair and maintenance of road vehicles; transport workshops, bus depots, road goods transport depots and car parks.

Shops: All buildings for retail distribution such as shops, department stores, retail markets, showrooms, etc.

Supermarkets: Non-specific food retailers – Supermarkets, mini-marts, ‘metro’ and ‘local’ grocery stores, corner shops selling groceries, etc.  But not green grocers, butchers, bakers, delis, chocolate shops, ice cream shops etc.

Agriculture: All buildings and work on farms, market gardens and horticultural establishments such as barns, animals’ houses, fencing, stores, greenhouses, boiler houses, agricultural and fen drainage, veterinary clinics, etc, but not houses (see category (c)), or buildings solely or mainly for retail sales which are included under ‘shops’.

Miscellaneous: All work not clearly covered by any other heading, such as: fire stations; barracks for the forces (except married quarters, classified under ‘Housing’); naval dockyards; RAF airfields; police stations; prisons; reformatories, remand homes; borstals; civil defence work; UK Atomic Energy Authority work; council depots; public conveniences; museums, conference centres; crematoria; libraries; caravan sites, except those at holiday resorts, exhibitions; wholesale markets; Royal Ordnance factories.